Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teach Something 1

I taught how to wire an electrical outlet. I taught the students that there are different colored screws on the outlet. There are gold, silver, and green screws. Then, I taght them that there are different colors of wires in a outlet box. In the box there were two white wires, two black wires and one bare copper wire. I told them that the black wires go to the gold screws, white wires go to the silver screws, and the bare copper wire goes to the green screw. That is all that I really covered then I ran out of time.

I felt like it went pretty well overall. I wish that I had a couple more minutes so that some students could connect the wires to the outlet. I did however, ask a few students questions on which wires went to which screws and two of the three got them right. The student that didn't know the answer said that it he wasn't clear on where the bare copper wire went. That tells me that I didn't explain it very well. I explained again which one it connects to and I feel that he understood. I feel like I have a lot of work to do in order to be an effective teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment